Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

compulsive buying

If you're anything like me you're somewhat of a compulsive shopper. You go into a store with a list of a few items you need, but you leave the store over two hours later with about twenty extra products that you just had to have. This happens to me pretty much every time I step into a Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Xhilaration Sallie Studded Wedges

Last week, my mom brought home an adorable pair of brown suede wedges from Target for me to try on. I'm flat-footed and clumsy, which is a horrible combination for walking in high heels because I waddle and look like I'm walking with a stick up my butt. But I could actually walk normally and comfortably in the pair my mom had brought home! This never happens to me so I decided to buy them in black as well. Thankfully, the Target in Wheeling said they had a pair in my size and would put them on hold for me.


1D wall decals  
I went this morning to pick them up and although I went to Target specifically to buy the black wedges (which were only $14.50 on clearance), I ended up spending over $60 dollars on an assortment of items that I felt the need to purchase. I bought One Direction wall decals, an assortment of gel pens, Scotch tape, a lint brush, Mott's Apple White Grape single packets and ear plugs. If you're judging me for buying these things it's totally okay because I'm judging myself as well. I'm 19-years-old and I bought wall stickers of a British boy band, I already have 500 pens that work just fine so I'm not sure why I bought more and I honestly don't think I've ever used Scotch tape before....

My mindset when I buy things that I "need" is that if I don't get them right now they might not be there in the future. Plus, I can always return them if I decide I don't want them! As true as this is I usually end up buying stuff I realistically don't have any purpose for or will never use. But when you're walking through the aisles of a store and you spy cool stuff that you don't have, it's easy to just throw it in the cart and justify to yourself that you'll find some use for it. Even if the items are relatively cheap individually, when you put fifteen different cheap items in your cart the price begins to add up!

The same thing that happened to me at Target today happens to me quite often. Just last week I was at Bed, Bath & Beyond to buy a closet rod extension and ended up buying a sinus relief eye mask and a reusable plastic red cup (looks like a typical "party" Red Solo Cup) as well.
Sinus Relief Eye Mask

There's certain stores that I go to that I always seem to just buy everything and anything that catches my eye! Here's some stores that are dangerous for me to shop in alone:

  • TJ Maxx
  • The Container Store
  • Costco
  • Target
  • Walmart
  • Best Buy
  • Kohl's
  • Bed, Bath & Beyond
  • Nordstrom Rack

Let me know if there's any other stores I should avoid shopping at on my own so I don't compulsively buy more!


No comments:

Post a Comment